Watch this JMS Presentation on the types of floating Scum Skimmers that are available. Jim Brettman, Senior Application Engineer at JMS, talks about skimming solutions available in the market and the pros and cons of each system.
Scum skimmer styles that are available:
One of the most popular styles of scum skimmers used is the scum pipe. It is used in 90%-95% of applications. The other 5% of the time when a skimmer is needed, a helical or paddle wheel skimmer is used.
The Scum Pipe System
A scum pipe is used in batch or intermittent surface scum skimming applications. A scum pipe can be made of various different materials. Scum pipes typically rotate both ways to help gather scum that has also gathered behind the pipe. The most common material of construction is stainless steel due to its long life which results in a low life cycle cost and lower maintenance requirements. The most common size for a scum pipe is 12”- 16” in diameter. The main driving factor for the size of a scum pipe is the change in water elevation a plant experiences from day to day. The greater the change in water elevation, the greater the diameter of the scum pipe must be to accommodate the changing level.
Popular options for scum pipe operating systems
- Electric actuated
- Manual hand wheel or lever
Popular options for scum pipe drive systems
- Worm gear and rack
- Chain and sprocket
Watch the rest of the JMS presentation on scum skimmer options to learn more about:
- Specifics on the JMS Delta-SKIMMER (Scum Pipe)
- Helical skimmers
- Paddle wheel skimmers
- Success stories
- And more
Jim Brettman has been with JMS for 9 years and serves on the sales side of the business as a Sr. Application Engineer focusing on the JMS Delta-SEPARATION. He has a BS in Civil Engineering from the University of Tennessee and worked in various positions with Exxon Co. for 12 years. After locating to Charlotte, Jim ran his own business for seven years as a rep for industrial wastewater treatment equipment and systems. Jim is proud to have worked closely with Dave Myers in closing the largest single sale by JMS to date, the Boston Deer Island Delta-SKIMMER (scum pipe) project. Jim says, “I thoroughly enjoy working with a Company that embodies integrity, quality, and service as its mantra, and working with our Reps to increase the sales of JMS products.”